[Coral-List] Reassessing Coral Reef Scientists

Magnus Johnson m.johnson at hull.ac.uk
Mon Apr 6 12:34:29 EDT 2015

Hi All,

I agree with both Judith and Quentin - I'd like to see every conference fee including a carbon offset or tree planted as part of the deal.

I think Quentin is pointing us towards realising that we are in the Anthropocene and need to deal with it rather than running around shouting "No, no, no, stop, stop, stop", harking back to the Pleistocene and building Fortress/Battleship Conservation for minority areas we consider special while at the same time continuing to lay waste to the rest of the planet.

Coral reefs are special (in my opinion) but they do not exist in isolation.  Climate change, war, plastics, invasive species, coastal development, acidification and over consumption will affect them all.  As Quentin says we need to think outside of our narrow spheres.

I have found some of the articles in http://thebreakthrough.org/journal to be very thought provoking.

cheers, Magnus