[Coral-List] Fwd: MPAs and fish that don't have larval dispersal

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 21:32:50 EDT 2015

     I just spotted this article which could be of interest to those that
work with MPAs or sharks.  It makes a point I've long thought needed to be
made, that there are important fish on coral reefs that don't have a larval
dispersal phase, and that MPA design needs to take that into account.
     I note that an alternative to MPAs for wide ranging fish like sharks
is to protect them in a large area which is not an MPA in the sense that
other species are not protected.  Essentially an area closure, such as
American Samoa protecting several large reef species throughout American
Samoa waters, or Palau protecting sharks throughout its EEZ.  You can have
both MPAs and large area closures for just a few species.

For more articles in the Coral Reef Research division of Frontiers in
Marine Science, including an article on lionfish, an article by Charlie
Veron, an article on upwelling-affected reef systems, and an article on the
mesoamerican reef system,  see
http://www.frontiersin.org/coral_reef_research

Cheers,  Doug

Mominglio, P., Harcourt, R., and Stow, A.  2015.  Conserving coral reef
organisms that lack larval dispersal: are networks of Marine Protected
Areas enough?  Frontiers in Marine Science 2(16) 1-5.    open-access

http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fmars.2015.00016/full?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Marine_Science-w15-2015

--
Douglas Fenner
Contractor with Ocean Associates, Inc.

phone 1 684 622-7084

"belief in climate change is optional, participation is not."

Politics, science, and public attitudes: What we're learning, and why it
matters.  Science Insider, open access.

http://news.sciencemag.org/social-sciences/2015/02/politics-science-and-public-attitudes-what-we-re-learning-and-why-it-matters?utm_campaign=email-news-latest&utm_src=email

Homeopathy ineffective, study confirms.

http://news.sciencemag.org/sifter/2015/03/homeopathy-ineffective-study-confirms