[Coral-List] Fwd: new Nature paper on coral reef fish recovery

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 18:30:45 EDT 2015

Recovery potential of the world's coral reef fishes.

Published in Nature.

"An analysis of fish declines in coral reefs shows that simple fishing
limits and implementation of marine protected areas can be enough to
support recovery of coral ecosystem resilience."

"We show that resident reef fish biomass in the absence of fishing (*B*0)
averages ~1,000 kg ha−1, and that the vast majority (83%) of fished reefs
are missing more than half their expected biomass, with severe consequences
for key ecosystem functions such as predation."

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature14358.html?WT..ec_id=NATURE-20150409

Cheers,  Doug

--
Douglas Fenner
Contractor with Ocean Associates, Inc.

phone 1 684 622-7084

"belief in climate change is optional, participation is not."

Politics, science, and public attitudes: What we're learning, and why it
matters.  Science Insider, open access.

http://news.sciencemag.org/social-sciences/2015/02/politics-science-and-public-attitudes-what-we-re-learning-and-why-it-matters?utm_campaign=email-news-latest&utm_src=email

Homeopathy ineffective, study confirms.

http://news.sciencemag.org/sifter/2015/03/homeopathy-ineffective-study-confirms