[Coral-List] Dr. Lubchenco talks coral reef restoration

Sarah Frias-Torres sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 4 03:18:40 EDT 2015

Dr. Jane Lubchenco, U.S. Science Envoy for the Ocean, recently visited Seychelles and the USAID-funded large scale coral reef restoration project I lead there at the NGO Nature Seychelles
She was interviewed by the national press. Here's a short extract:
"The reef die-offs that happened here [Seychelles] have been a result of sustained really warm water, and we’re going to be seeing more and more of those, not just with El Ninos but as the ocean continues to warm. The protocols that have been created here by Nature Seychelles to restore reefs are wonderful models to be exported to other parts of the world to do reef restoration.
It’s not an easy thing to do, and they have experimented and been very creative in figuring out what works and what doesn’t work, but they’ve also been very smart about thinking how can we do it in a way that is as cheap as possible and as time-efficient as possible, so that you actually can scale it up. There are many little boutique projects around the world. The restorations that are happening are not at the scale that are needed, and so to figure out how to scale up is the real challenge"
The full interview is here:
http://www.seychellesnewsagency.com/articles/3443

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D. Coordinator Reef Rescuers ProgramIsland Conservation Centre Nature Seychelles,Amitie, Praslin, Seychelleshttp://www.natureseychelles.org/what-we-do/coral-reef-restoration-and-Research CollaboratorSmithsonian-National Museum of Natural Historyat Smithsonian Marine Station, Fort Pierce, FL, USATwitter: @GrouperDocBlog: http://grouperluna.wordpress.comhttp://independent.academia.edu/SarahFriasTorres