[Coral-List] CO2 risks for coral reefs

Peter Sale sale at uwindsor.ca
Wed Aug 19 15:38:56 EDT 2015

Steve and list,
Here are several links that report the story with varying degrees of precision and accuracy:
Business Standard (India) basically quotes the press release: http://www.business-standard.com/article/pti-stories/coral-reefs-doomed-even-if-cop21-is-wildly-successful-115081700535_1.html
Sydney Morning Herald uses the story to attack Rupert Murdoch (always fun): http://www.smh.com.au/environment/all-at-sea-with-rupert-murdoch-on-the-marine-environmental-crisis-20150817-gj0l9y.html
The Telegraph (UK) does reasonable job - will its denialist readers care?: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/11809525/Coral-reefs-are-likely-to-disappear-from-the-Earth-despite-climate-change-talks.html
E&E Publishing (Washington DC) went a bit further and did well, engaging Mark Eakin to support/amplify the message (thanks, Mark): http://www.eenews.net/stories/1060023581
I saw only one article in Spanish which failed to mention the 350ppm recommendation, and generally suggested reefs are already f**ked and there is nothing we can do to fix them.  That was NOT my message: http://hipertextual.com/2015/08/arrecifes-de-coral

Not too bad overall, considering most journalists did not talk to me, or attend the talk.  But the articles do permit making more noise about the subject.
Thanks all,
Peter