[Coral-List] coral replanting?

Esther Peters estherpeters at verizon.net
Mon Aug 24 15:16:51 EDT 2015

Thanks, Andrew, for letting us know about Indonesia's reef restoration
efforts.

The big questions remain about how successful maricultured coral
outplanting operations are whether they are in the Caribbean, Red Sea,
or on Indo-Pacific reefs. It is relatively easy for such operations to
get funding to raise and outplant corals, but where is the funding to
support monitoring and research that will compare efforts to examine how
different genotypes and levels of biodiversity (and of multiple species
of reef organisms, not just corals), as well as environmental parameters
at different reef sites, are mediating the success of the outplants? The
operations need these answers from scientists to improve their
mariculture and outplanting activities, which will also improve success
rates and public perceptions of their value.

If anyone knows of such funding opportunities, please let the coral-list
know!

Esther Peters
Term Associate Professor, George Mason University
Adjunct Professor, Nova Southeastern University
Adjunct Scientist, Mote Marine Laboratory