[Coral-List] rare Nautiloid re-found near Papua New Guinea

Ellen Prager pragere at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 28 12:40:19 EDT 2015

   MIchael
   My  point  is  that  we  as  a  community  complain about this sort of
   thing...calling it "typical" (which sounds negative even if that is not the
   way you meant it). I've just come to believe that compared to the message it
   is not all that critical. Sure it would be nice for them to get it right and
   promote paleontology, but more important is to cultivate good relationships
   with media folks and get the message right.
   Maybe a good message here is that if you want to be sure you are called a
   certain type of expert, say it upfront, don't expect the journalist to know
   it.
   And if you want to promote paleontology as a career (a nice thought), talk
   to teachers, get involved in career days, and write blogs etc to get the
   word out. Unfortunately, I just don't think the mainstream media is the
   place to go. Although they do love dinosaur stories and those do get a lot
   of play..
   Ellen