[Coral-List] Call for abstracts for ICRS Session 32 - Ocean acidification: Measuring and scaling impacts across multiple scales

Ian Enochs ienochs at rsmas.miami.edu
Fri Dec 11 15:05:46 EST 2015

We would like to invite you to submit abstracts to ICRS Session 32 - Ocean acidification: Measuring and scaling impacts across multiple scales.

Session description:

Ocean acidification (OA) poses a major threat to coral reefs. Most research in this rapidly growing field has focused on the short-term responses of individual species to future high CO2 conditions. While these studies are informative, we still have a limited ability to predict how micro- and organism-scale responses will manifest at the ecosystem level. Key questions still remain concerning how OA-related changes in physiological processes affect population dynamics, how OA will influence relationships between species and thereby alter ecosystem structure, and how changes in calcification and dissolution will affect the calcium carbonate budgets of entire reef systems. This session aims to bring together research approaches across multiple spatial and temporal scales to improve our understanding of the potential impacts of ocean acidification. We welcome submissions from researchers working across scales from sub-organismal to global, as well as methodologies ranging from laboratory techniques to field investigation of natural OA gradients. We are particularly interested in those submissions which address the natural complexity of real-world ecosystems, the simultaneous influences of additional stressors such as warming, and the long-term effects of OA stress. We anticipate this to be a highly multidisciplinary session, with contributions from a range of fields including physiology, ecology, biogeochemistry, and modeling.

The deadline for submission is 15 January 2016

Additional details on abstract submission can be found at:

https://www.sgmeet.com/icrs2016/submission_overview.asp

Session organizers:

Ian Enochs, University of Miami, NOAA

Emily Shaw, California State University Northridge

Stefano Goffredo, University of Bologna

Katharina Fabricius, Australian Institute of Marine Science

Steeve Comeau, The University of Western Australia

Giuseppe Falini, University of Bologna

Derek Manzello, NOAA

Christopher Cornwall, The University of Western Australia

Zvy Dubinsky, Bar-Ilan University

Nichole Price, Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences

Sarah Hamylton, University of Wollongong

Thank you for your consideration. We look forward to your submissions.