[Coral-List] Underwater (in situ) Coral Tagging Systems, What do YOU use?

Rupert Ormond rupert.ormond.mci at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 14:20:27 EST 2015

Jeremy,

I would certainly recommend against using permanent marker without any protection. The tags will become fouled and most of the writing ware off or come off when you try to clean them

My latest thought is to try engraved numbed plastic disc fish tags (e.g. Petersen type) which come in a range of different colours and sizes and are relatively inexpensive. At least you can still read the numbers if you need to clean off the fouling organisms. They can be attached to the individual coral fragments with cable ties, but don't cut them off too close.

But others may have better ideas!

Rupert

Rupert Ormond
Heriot-Watt University