[Coral-List] Ocean acidification beneficial in short term to Corals?

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Thu Feb 5 13:14:32 EST 2015

I'm far from an expert on this topic, but looking at the replies reminds me
that we need to be careful to distinguish among calcification, coral growth
and linear extension. They are obviously related, but it is still critical
that we are talking about the same thing. Some species have high initially
high extension rates and "backfill" later on. Some folks have noted that
skeletal densities may be declining. Might this be a novel way to maintain
linear extension rates in the face of lowered calcification rates? I'm sure
there are other combinations that warrant re-examining whether
disagreements stem as much from terminology than actual differences in the
data. This is more than semantics.

Dennis