[Coral-List] Where in the world are the best systems of marine protected areas?

Chantelle de Gruchy cmdg500 at york.ac.uk
Tue Feb 17 07:42:28 EST 2015

I am at the University of York working with Professor Callum Roberts and Dr
Julie Hawkins on the question of how much progress the world is making
towards a global system of marine protected areas. With global coverage
figures for MPAs currently at 2-3 percent, the figure is small and thereby
potentially depressing. But some excellent achievements in marine
protection lie within this. To help me investigate what the best managed
MPAs can provide I would be very grateful if you could please answer the
following question. All answers will be treated in confidence and I will
provide a summary of my findings to recipients.

*1: Please list up to ten countries/political entities that you think have
the most complete systems of marine protected areas. Please consider
overseas territories of the USA, France and UK as independent entities. For
some large countries, you may wish to list only part of that country (e.g.
Queensland, Australia, or California USA).*

It would also be very helpful if you would please tell me your nationality,
country of workplace and which title best describes you from: marine park
employee, academic or other. I can then examine how these factors might
influence choices. No identifying information such as names or addresses
will appear in this project.

Please email your response to me at cmdg500 at york.ac.uk

Many thanks for your help.

Chantelle de Gruchy