[Coral-List] sponge research

Christine Schonberg christine.schonberg at uwa.edu.au
Sat Feb 21 00:55:31 EST 2015

Hi all,

Sorry for cross-postings, people who subscribe to PoriferaList and Skolithos can ignore the below, you have already seen it. The below message is meant to reach people with significant research interest in sponges. If you work on other groups but are still interested in the outcome of this census you can have a look at the forthcoming publication which will appear in JMBA probably early next year.

I am presently collecting information about people active in sponge research, information which I would like to summarise and publish in the forthcoming sponge conference proceedings in JMBA for the 2013 Fremantle World Sponge Conference. But the sponge science group has grown so much and has moved into new and exciting places and topics, and I find it difficult to get any semi-complete set of information about us. So where are we all, and what do we focus on? I think it would be great to know who we are as a group at present, where we work, how sponge science has developed over time and where we still need to go. Apart from this anonymous statistical exercise I think it would also be fantastic to have a recent public list of names of sponge workers with one or two words of information (or more if you wish) of our main research interest and contact details. This would help a lot with networking and when putting together research proposals, finding new collaborators and partners etc. If you could send me a quick email back with your name, country of affiliation, your main research interest, whether you are a student or a retiree or anything in between, and if you don’t mind you can also provide your email and postal address, maybe a link to webpages and internet profiles where people can see what you published etc. This can be done by the team leader for groups if you like. Anything you send back to me I assume you agree can be made public. I am aiming at getting replies from about 70% of the users of PoriferaList as a representative group, i.e. maybe about 350 replies. Preliminary results from ca. 130 answers indicate that about 50% of the sponge researchers are in USA, Australia, Brazil, Italy and the Netherlands. I have made up an example below with the respective information about myself that you can use as a template. All information starting with A would be used for a summary about us as group without mentioning your name, anything starting with B would be made public as a contact list, including information from A. So you can choose how much information you want in the public domain by not answering, by answering only the As or all of it. I hope you are as excited about this as I am and that many of you will reply.

Cheers, Christine

Example of requested information:

B – name – Christine Schönberg
A – country (present affiliation) – Australia
A – main interest – sponge ecology, bioerosion (you can provide more info here if you wish, e.g. A 3-4 sentence summary of what you do)
A – career status – mid–career
B – address – University of Western Australia, Oceans Institute, 39 Fairway, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
B – email – christine.schonberg at uwa.edu.au<mailto:christine.schonberg at uwa..edu.au>
B – internet - https://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=Q-hUuTAAAAAJ&hl=en
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Christine_Schoenberg
http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-3925-2009