[Coral-List] Some thoughts on how to tell the bleaching story

Peter Sale sale at uwindsor.ca
Wed Jan 7 22:13:10 EST 2015

Hi Ellen,
Thanks for those supportive comments.
I fear there is a minority (hopefully not large) of the public that cannot
be reached - the flat-earthers, the people who think the world is 6000
years old, etc.  I don't even try anymore to pitch stories at their level.
I also think the media, for the most part, do a poor job of reporting
science in general, always wanting controversy, even manufacturing (or
presenting as equal two camps that are far from equal) opposing views when
necessary.  This has made it immensely difficult for the scientist to
present information dispassionately, and many of us then fall into the
trap of overstatement in order to try and get our points across.  Overall
this erodes the quality of communication.  (I have no solution to this,
other than to recognize it as a problem and talk about it)
And yes, we scientists have mostly not learned very well how to tell a
story that engages the listener.

Peter Sale
sale at uwindsor.ca                 @PeterSale3
www.uwindsor.ca/sale           www.petersalebooks.com