[Coral-List] defining acronyms and abbreviations

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 05:19:11 EDT 2015

    We all, myself included, from time to time forget to define our
acronyms and abbreviations.  Could posters please be merciful to us poor
readers, and define your acronyms?  Coral-list readers are spread all over
the world, and most will have no idea what the acronyms and abbreviations
you use stand for.  A few are very well known, such as SCUBA and the US,
and don't need definition, but all others do, no matter how familiar they
are to the writer.  We are all required by journals to define our acronyms
and abbreviations when they are first used, so that readers can understand
what we're talking about.  Please help us poor readers out by defining
them.  Thank you!!
    Cheers,  Doug

Interesting developments in the Bonaire National Marine Park:

> STINAPA Rangers participate in AAUS Scientific Diving program at CIEE
> Research Station Bonaire
>

> In mid-April, 2015, Dr. Rita Peachey, Director of CIEE Research Station
> Bonaire, offered grants enabling two STINAPA park rangers to participate in
> a Scientific Diving program and earn AAUS Scientific Diver certification.
> Two well-prepared rangers were chosen to participate in the Scientific
> Diving program from May 25th to June 19th, 2015. This program features two
> college-level courses: Advanced SCUBA and Marine Ecology Field Research
> Methods. By working through the scuba and filed research methods, students
> become certified AAUS Scientific Divers (American Academy of Underwater
> Sciences). The Advanced SCUBA course prepares students to manage safe
> scientific diving practices and diving emergencies. Students gain
> competencies in a wide range of coral reef research skills in the Marine
> Ecology Field Research Methods course. The STINAPA Rangers will get 100
> hours of research diving experience above and below the water. This is a
> very high level accomplishment. www.aaus.org is the link to the website of
> the organization of which CIEE is a member.
>

> Enchomar Wanga  and Luigi Eybrecht were selected to participate in this
> program. It will greatly benefit the STINAPA Bonaire foundation to have
> well-trained staff to supervise and assist scientists that come to Bonaire
> to conduct field research. They will function as Nature Ambassadors for
> Bonaire, and serve as liaison and well-educated conduit of information
> between organizations. Luigi Eybrecht is a certified PADI Divemaster and
> Enchomar Wanga is a certified Rescue Diver.
>

> Currently, there are two STINAPA junior rangers enrolled in a similar CIEE
> scientific summer school program where they join a group of high school
> students visiting from the US.
>

> STINAPA Bonaire wishes to extend a heartfelt 'Thank You' to Dr. Rita
> Peachey, director of CIEE Research Station Bonaire, and her staff for the
> grant and the opportunity offered to the STINAPA family.
>

> https://www.facebook.com/notes/stinapa-bonaire/stinapa-rangers-participate-i
>
> n-aaus-scientific-diving-program-at-ciee-research-s/1146892601994641?notif_t
> =like
> <https://www.facebook.com/notes/stinapa-bonaire/stinapa-rangers-participate-in-aaus-scientific-diving-program-at-ciee-research-s/1146892601994641?notif_t=like>
>

> Many thanks,
> Anouschka van de Ven
> Communications Coordinator
>
> STINAPA Bonaire
> Barcadera z/n
> Bonaire, Dutch Caribbean
> T: +599 - 717 8444
>
> communications at stinapa.org
> www.stinapa.org
> www.facebook.com/bonaire.stinapa

> --

Douglas Fenner
Contractor with Ocean Associates, Inc.
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

phone 1 684 622-7084

Join the International Society for Reef Studies.  Membership includes a
subscription to the journal Coral Reefs, there are discounts for pdf
subscriptions and developing countries.  www.fit.edu/isrs/

"belief in climate change is optional, participation is not."

The governor of Hawaii has signed legislation directing Hawaii's utilities
to generate 100% of their electricity from renewable sources by 2045.

New study warns of dangerous climate change risks to the earth's oceans
The Guardian (newspaper)

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2015/jul/02/new-study-warns-of-dangerous-climate-change-risks-to-the-earths-oceans?CMP=twt_science-gdnscience

based on:

Contrasting Futures for Ocean and Society from Different Anthropogenic CO₂
Emissions Scenarios.  Science

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/349/6243/aac4722.abstract

website:  http://independent.academia.edu/DouglasFenner

blog: http://ocean.si.edu/blog/reefs-american-samoa-story-hope