[Coral-List] Re: Image-analysis software for counting (Matthew Johnston)

zoerscott8 at gmail.com zoerscott8 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 12:42:50 EDT 2015

 Hi Becca,

Though I don't have much experience with image-analysis, a colleague of mine uses image-J for counting bacterial cells in her cultures. She recommends using the multipoint tool, which would be a way to manually count the bore holes. As you click on each bore hole, the program keeps tally and will give you a total at the final point. If you’re interested in automating the counting, she says that it is a bit more challenging to set the program up to recognize your items, especially if they are overlapping. You can get the software at http://imagej.nih.gov/ij/, and here is a paper that talks about using the two types of counting, hope it helps!

Best,

Zoë

--
Zoë Scott