[Coral-List] Danjugan Island (Philippines): 20 Year Citizen-Scientist Reef Health Check!

Peter Raines rainespeter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 13:05:16 EDT 2015

This August for the first time we are opening Danjugan Island Marine
Sanctuary up for an exclusive and family-friendly expedition to re-survey
some of Danjugan’s stunning coral reefs and forests. For two weeks we will
learn and re-discover just how well they have recovered and regenerated
since the island became a wildlife sanctuary more than 20 years ago.

Led by Pete Raines MBE <https://www.linkedin.com/pub/pete-raines/2/475/611>
and organised in partnership with the leading tour operator Original
Diving, we have created an extraordinary, fun filled island citizen science
program to showcase Danjugan’s incredible treasures above and below the
surface. Danjugan Island <http://www.danjuganisland.ph/> is a lush 43
hectare island located in Negros Occidental and has recently been
recognised as a Philippine Gem <http://www.pwc.com/ph/en/gems/index.jhtml>
and one of the top ten destinations to visit in the country. What used to
be a threatened and over-fished area is now a protected sanctuary with a
dazzling array of marine and terrestrial life to discover.
Suitable for all ages and experiences, elegantly combining the essence of
tropical Island living with daily conservation objectives. Places are
limited to 24 guests staying on the island in comfortable, communal
cabanas, with the remaining guests staying on the mainland a short boat
ride away at the 4 star Punta Bulata Resort. All monies raised will
directly finance and support the services of science staff to accompany the
trip and contribute to the successful running of the Southern Negros
Coastal Development Project (SNCDP)

For further info, visit: www.prrce.org

All the best,

Pete

Peter Raines MBE
Director | Philippine Reef & Rainforest Conservation Europe
CEO | Coral Restoration Foundation Europe

Email: rainespeter at gmail.com
Mobile: +44 (0)7597 664987
Skype: peter.raines