[Coral-List] Who's eating the sponges? Help requested from Caribbean night divers.

Pawlik, Joseph pawlikj at uncw.edu
Fri Jun 19 08:29:54 EDT 2015

Greetings,

Are there any Caribbean night divers out there who have seen or photographed snails eating sponges?
We are collecting information on the gastropod species, particularly cowries, that leave grazing scars on reef sponges.
Unfortunately, it seems these animals eat infrequently, and they do it at night!
We recently published a report on cowries eating the yellow tube sponge, and have some other photos of grazing scars on sponges at this link:
http://people.uncw.edu/pawlikj/WhoEatingSponges.html

Thanks for any help!

Joseph R. Pawlik, Professor,
Dept. of Biology and Marine Biology
UNCW Center for Marine Science
5600 Marvin K Moss Lane
Wilmington, NC  28409
Office:(910)962-2377; Cell:(910)232-3579
Website: http://people.uncw.edu/pawlikj/index.html
PDFs: http://people.uncw.edu/pawlikj/pubs2.html