[Coral-List] Climate Change

David M. Lawrence dave at fuzzo.com
Sat Jun 20 13:48:07 EDT 2015

Actually, Gene, satellite temperature data requires adjustments as
well.  None measure temperature directly, and unlike a fixed surface
station, none pass over the exact same place at the same time every day
to make it easier to calculate true "average" temperatures for a location.

Therefore it is incorrect to say their data have not been "adjusted."

Another problem with satellite temperature data is that it does not
measure temperatures at the surface, where we live.  Instead, it
measures temperatures at a higher level in the troposphere.

Yet another problem with the type of satellite temperature data you
mention is that it cannot measure heat stored in the ocean, particularly
at deeper levels in the ocean, which, according to many measurements, is
increasing and has been increasing during the apparent surface warming
slowdown -- not hiatus as it has been erroneously described.

As most of us know, heat tranported into deeper layers of the oceans
won't be available to warm the surface elsewhere.  We also know that El
Nino conditions can disrupt the transfer of heat from the surface to the
deeper layers, resulting in altered atmospheric circulation and
widespread warm temperature anomalies -- such as circa 1998 when that El
Nino caused the big temperature spike that climate denialists love to
use as their starting point to [erroneously] claim no warming the past
two decades.

Also note that the tropospheric temperature trend measured by satellites
largely mirrors the surface temperature trend -- even when using the
data analyzed by the Alabama-Huntsville crowd. This blog post has a
graphic that overlaps data obtained by Huntsville and another team that
analyzes the same satellite data (but uses slightly different
adjustments) with surface temperature data:
http://www.carbonbrief.org/blog/2015/02/what-do-satellites-measurements-of-the-troposphere-tell-us-about-global-temperature-%282%29/

If you can't get it with the long link, try this: http://bit.ly/1LlOacM

Note that when looking at the extremes (highs or lows) the satellite
data overshoot the surface data, but that most of the time, all data
indicate a similar (and still warming) trend.

Later,

Dave

On 6/18/2015 4:27 PM, Eugene Shinn wrote:
> Below list readers can find data relating to the contentious 18 year
> warming pause. The data from the University of Alabama obtained by
> satellites that to my knowledge has not been "adjusted" to remove the
> pause. As near as I can tell there is no Washington politics involved in
> this data. Nevertheless I suspect die hard warmest will find some reason
> to reject the data.
> The second website is a discussion of the Alabama data by a well known
> climate blogger.Gene
>
> http://www.drroyspencer.com/latest-global-temperatures/
>
> http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/05/29/when-will-climate-scientists-say-they-were-wrong/

  David M. Lawrence        | Home:  (804) 559-9786
  6467 Hanna Drive         | Cell:  (804) 305-5234
  Mechanicsville, VA 23111 | Email: dave at fuzzo.com
  USA                      | http:  http://fuzzo.com

"All drains lead to the ocean."  -- Gill, Finding Nemo

"We have met the enemy and he is us."  -- Pogo

"No trespassing
  4/17 of a haiku"  --  Richard Brautigan