[Coral-List] Montserrat and Curaçao to partner with Waitt Institute on comprehensive ocean management.

Andy Estep aestep at waittinstitute.org
Fri Mar 13 09:54:31 EDT 2015

Hi Coral Listers,

I am thrilled to announce the next step in the Waitt Institute's Blue Halo
Initiative <http://bit.ly/WI-BHI>: *comprehensive ocean governance
partnerships with the island nations of Montserrat and Curaçao. *

In the years to come, the Waitt Institute <http://bit.ly/WaittInst>, in
collaboration with island governments and communities, will bring together
some of the best minds in Caribbean ocean policy to restore the health of
coral reefs, improve coastal livelihoods, bolster food security, and
preserve ocean cultures.

Please find the press release for the launch of Blue Halo Montserrat
<http://bit.ly/BHI-Montserrat> and Blue Halo Curaçao
<http://bit.ly/BHI-Curacao> below. More information can be found in
this Dropbox
folder <http://bit.ly/BlueHalo-2015Launch>.

We are exited about this new growth in our network. We are also excited to
develop new partnerships and collaborations within the Caribbean scientific
community. Please feel free to contact me with any project or science
related questions!

Best,

Andy Estep
Science Manager, Waitt Institute <http://bit.ly/WaittInst>
@andyjestep <https://twitter.com/andyjestep> | (786) 521-0113
@WaittInstitute <http://bit.ly/WI-twt> | Instagram <http://bit.ly/WI-insta>
 | Vimeo <http://bit.ly/WI-vimeo>

*Islands Montserrat, Curaçao commit to new ocean policies*

*Waitt Institute’s new Blue Halo partnerships to protect Caribbean waters*

*Contact:* Stephanie Roach, sroach at waittinstitute.org, +1 (202) 609-8919

WASHINGTON, D.C., February 25, 2015 -- Ocean management in the Caribbean
will leap forward this year thanks to new partnerships between the
governments of Montserrat and Curaçao and the Waitt Institute. These
collaborations are the first geographic expansion of the institute’s Blue
Halo Initiative <http://bit.ly/1z9PXGR>, which started in Barbuda in 2012.

“We’re thrilled to be building relationships that emphasize science and
community priorities,” said Dr. Ayana Elizabeth Johnson, executive director
of the Waitt Institute <http://www.waittinstitute.org/>, regarding the
memoranda of understanding signed with both governments. “Barbuda was just
the beginning of a Caribbean-wide effort to rebuild fisheries and improve
coastal livelihoods.”

The Blue Halo Initiative in Barbuda
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/barbuda.waittinstitute.org> led to
groundbreaking, comprehensive new laws for the coastal waters around the
island. Repeating those efforts with Blue Halo Curaçao
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/curacao.waittinstitute.org> and Blue Halo
Montserrat <https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/montserrat.waitinstitute.org> will
raise the bar for sustainable ocean policy around the world.

“This Initiative is about creating a new status quo for how we use the
ocean,” said Ted Waitt, Founder and Chairman of the Waitt Institute.. “It’s
challenging. It takes commitment and requires teamwork between government,
scientists, fishermen, and the broader community. But if we work together,
we can create an elegant solution that will pay benefits for all
stakeholders for generations to come. Getting this right is critically
important for the Caribbean’s food security and way of life.”

In Barbuda, new policies include zoning of the coastal waters, establishing
one-third of those waters as marine sanctuaries, and protecting native
sharks and parrotfish.

“This will definitely benefit the people of Barbuda, and Antigua as well,
ensuring that fishers have a livelihood that will last in perpetuity," said
Arthur Nibbs, Antigua and Barbuda Minister of Fisheries and Chairman of the
Barbuda Council.

“Barbuda set a new standard for comprehensive ocean management in the
Caribbean,” said Johnson. With this initiative expanding, it’s an exciting
time to be a fish -- and a fisherman -- in these communities.”

Local fisherman Carlton O’Garro said, “Montserrat is on the move and is
rising to the challenge to improve the governance and management of the
ocean.”

The Honorable Donaldson Romeo, Premier of Montserrat said, “We recognize
that it is in our benefit to work hard for healthy oceans in order to
sustain our vital fish stocks, the marine life and biodiversity, and of
course the livelihoods of our communities.”

Dr. Mark Vermeij, Science Director of Curaçao’s Carmabi Foundation
<http://bit.ly/1EaBFfw> said, “The Blue Halo Initiative coming to Curaçao
will allow us to design and trial entirely new management approaches to
protect Caribbean reefs.”

Indeed, the Blue Halo Initiative is at the core of the Waitt Institute’s
mission to “empower communities to restore their ocean.

“The state of most Caribbean reefs and fisheries is dire, but the policy
solutions are simple,” said Johnson. “My heart soars when I envision
coastal ecosystems, economies, and cultures thriving due to the bold
commitments these islands have made to use the ocean without using it up.”

*A**dditional information and resources:*

http://www.WaittInstitute.org <http://www.waittinstitute.org/>

Twitter: @ayanaeliza <https://twitter.com/ayanaeliza>, @waittinstitute
<http://bit.ly/WI-twt>

Instagram: @waittinstitute <http://bit.ly/WI-insta>

Facebook: facebook.com/waittinstitute <http://bit.ly/WI-fb>

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/WaittInstitute

Vimeo – general: vimeo.com/waittinstitute
<http://www.vimeo.com/waittinstitute>

Vimeo – launch video: https://vimeo.com/waittinstitute/montserratlaunch
<http://bit.ly/BHI-MVid1>

Supporting documents: http://bit.ly/BlueHalo-2015Launch

*For more information or to set up interviews, contact:*

Stephanie Roach, Program Manager, Waitt Institute, +1 202 609 8919,
sroach at waittinstitute.org

*Waitt Institute: *The Waitt Institute endeavors to ensure ecologically,
economically, and culturally sustainable use of ocean resources. The
Institute partners with governments committed to developing and
implementing comprehensive, science-based, community-driven solutions for
sustainable ocean management. Our goal is to benefit coastal communities
while restoring fish populations and habitats. Our approach is to engage
stakeholders, provide the tools needed to design locally appropriate
policies, facilitate the policymaking process, and build capacity for
effective implementation and long-term success.