[Coral-List] Reassessing Coral Reefs

Sarah Frias-Torres sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 27 01:44:14 EDT 2015

Peter, Steve and all,here are my five cents.
Coral reefs are in triage. Their status resembles a crash victim. If this crash victim receives immediate care, the victim may survive.
We have already decided, as the Coral-list community, that coral reefs deserve our immediate care for many reasons (and if anyone in coral-list thinks we should label them as goners and give them morphine, this is the time to say it).
What to do first?we apply ABC's of emergency first aid: Airway, Breathing and Circulation. The ABC's are pollution, overfishing, habitat destruction (dynamite fishing, siltation from construction or beach renourishment, anchor damage, etc).
Once first aid is applied, then we have to treat the crash victim. Sometimes we might need to heal broken bones.  We can choose to let the broken bone untreated, then it will take a very long time for it to heal properly or we might speed up the process by taking active measures, such as placing a metal rod and a cast. In our coral reefs, this will be the objective of large scale restoration. Sometimes the bruises will heal on their own. That's when conservation alone (without restoration) helps the coral reef.
As a result of the crash, our victim might face systemic failure due to the long term effects generated by the injuries (think brain haemorrhage),  If left untreated, the patient will die, regardless of our ABC's and our bone healing. The systemic failure is two fold: 1) global warming, that if left untreated, will doom coral reefs by 2050 (that's just 35 years!), 2) human overpopulation and overuse of the planet's resources.
Once we have our priorities straight, it's time to take action. How we go about it? Here, I'm the mouse asking who will bell the cat (here's the short story in case you forgot http://shortstoriesshort.com/story/who-will-bell-the-cat/)
Some of us in Coral-List know how to work the ABC's. Some of us know about dealing with systemic failure. We have to do our best, and we have to do it quick. And we need to unite our efforts in some way. Do we rely on an existing organization to coordinate our efforts, perhaps ICRI= International Coral Reef Initiative? Or do we all join together in some new way?
Regardless how we decide about doing our best, we don't want to let the patient die in agony during our watch.

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D. Coordinator Reef Rescuers ProgramIsland Conservation Centre Nature Seychelles,Amitie, Praslin, Seychelleshttp://www.natureseychelles.org/what-we-do/coral-reef-restoration-and-Research CollaboratorSmithsonian-National Museum of Natural Historyat Smithsonian Marine Station, Fort Pierce, FL, USATwitter: @GrouperDocBlog: http://grouperluna.wordpress.comhttp://independent.academia.edu/SarahFriasTorres