[Coral-List] Reassessing Coral Reefs

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 30 08:20:40 EDT 2015

   Dear Judy, Julian and Listers,

   I believe all of us realize that even if we could put together a coalition
   comprised of coral scientists and diving industry leaders dedicated to
   saving  coral  reefs  at all costs, we would still be facing an uphill
   battle against those who view these issues through an antithetical prism.
   Still  there  is a  recognition  of some level of moral responsibility
   which speaks  to many coral  scientists  and divers as a result of our
   connatural and inherent connection to the underwater world. So although I
   have become somewhat cynical in formulating my opinion as to how all this
   will ultimately play out, in the end I agree that we need to keep trying.
   As Judy said, every bit helps and there is plenty of work to be done. Coral
   scientists should be shearching for creative ways to get their findings out
   beyond the shielded confines of scientific journals and into the wider
   public domain. Diving industry leaders ([1]http://www.dema.org/?page=About)
   should be reexamining their own mission statement while working to realign
   themselves with an ethical and transparent commitment to promote sustainable
   growth in safe recreational diving and snorkeling while protecting the
   underwater environment. There is ample evidence that the industry's stated
   goal  of  conserving and protecting natural aquatic resources is being
   dishonored by their refusal to acknowledge the impacts of climate change.
   Julian  and  I  are  separated  by a vast geographical divide, yet our
   experiences and frustrations are indistinguishable.There is much that needs
   to be done. Not the least of which is to make it perfectly clear as to what
   the future holds for the world's coral reefs if we continue to do business
   as usual ignoring the unmitigated effects of anthropogenic stressors, both
   local and global.

   Steve