[Coral-List] Reassessing Coral Reefs

Helen Brunt helen.brunt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 21:57:12 EDT 2015

Dear Julian,

Well said. As someone who also worked alongside the dive industry in Malaysia while coordinating a community and conservation initiative, I concur with what you’ve stated. In most cases (and there are rare exceptions), it really is starkly apparent that it’s only the ka-ching of the cash register at the dive shops that the industry in general in hearing - and not ‘greenies’ going on about anthropogenic impacts to reefs, least of all climate change.

Coincidentally, I’ve just been alerted to this lecture at my alma mater (University of Sussex, UK) by a former professor of mine (Dr Dominic Kniveton). It may be of interest to some here, and it should be available as a podcast after the event.

Lost in translation: Understanding the relationship between climate and society

Wednesday 27th May 2015 18:30 until 19:30

The transformation of society in response to climate change and variability is mediated by how people understand and react to information on and perceptions of the climate. This talk takes us through two routes to further our understanding of climate's impact on society from a cognitive perspective. The first looks at the factors determining how farmers and pastoralists uptake climate information in Africa. The second explores how the understanding of how people react to climate can inform models of household behaviour that in turn reveal emergent patterns of behaviour at scale. In exploring these two areas of research we will grapple with the problems and opportunities of working on the boundaries of the disciplines of climate science, human geography, psychology and sociology.

This is an open public event and everyone is welcome to attend, but we do ask that you book your place as numbers are limited.
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/newsandevents/sussexlectures/upcoming?id=28245 <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/newsandevents/sussexlectures/upcoming?id=28245>

Best wishes,
Helen