[Coral-List] Environmental Centre Sharm el-Sheikh

Mahmoud Sarhan mahmoud.srhan at gmail.com
Tue May 5 13:54:14 EDT 2015

Dear Mathias

I'm from Egypt and used to work at National Parks System in Egypt. To
clarify things for you, protected areas in Egypt are managed by Nature
Conservation Sector (NCS) within Ministry of Environment (
http://www.eeaa.gov.eg/english/main/protectorates.asp). The head office for
NCS is located in Cairo within Ministry of Environment. We have 30
protected areas dived into 6 sectors. Your question is related to South
Sinai Sector. There are five protected areas in South Sinai Sector (Ras
Mohamed national Park, Saint Katherine protected Area, Nabq protected Area,
Abu Gallum protected area, Taba protected Area). The head office for South
Sinai Sector is located in Sharm El Sheikh City in South Sinai.

I don’t think that there is a governmental organization called
environmental centre in Sharm El Shiekh, however there is a Training Centre
located within South Sinai Sector th in Sharm El Sheikh City. I think you
are referring to this place. The Training Centre provides accommodation
with affordable prices and meeting rooms but do not expect luxury. It is
located within the head quarters of South Sinai Sector.

If you plan to do research, you will need a permit from South Sinai Sector
or NCS. If you provided me with basic information about your research
(location, dates and subject) I will put you in contact with the best
person to take you through the official procedures.

I can also provide some resources (published reports, plans) if needed. I
do know many people with extensive research experience in various
disciplines within South Sinai area in case you need me to put you in touch
with any of them, let me know.

If you need anything else related to this issue, please do not hesitate
contacting me.

All the best

Mahmoud Sarhan,* MSc*

Environmental and Social Consultant

MPS International Development 2015

College of Agriculture and Life Sciences

Cornell University, New York