[Coral-List] New paper…and ISRS Consensus Statements

Judith Lang jlang at riposi.net
Thu Nov 5 09:49:45 EST 2015

Dear Rafael Magris,
Congratulations on the publication of your Ph.D. research in PLoS ONE!  I see that in the introduction, you note: “Reef-building corals are particularly vulnerable to rising sea temperatures and are among the most sensitive organisms to climate change.”

Now that you are becoming an expert in conservation planning and warming, I wonder if you could explain to me why so few coral-listers bothered to respond when Steve Mussman wondered whether or not we support the 2015 ISRS consensus statement regarding the perils of climate change and/or its earlier 2012 statement on a multitude of stressors currently affecting reefs.

As Steve noted, the two statements are easily found online.
https://www.openchannels.org/sites/default/files/ISRS%20Consensus%20Statement%20on%20Coral%20Bleaching%20%26%20Climate%20Change.pdf
ttp://www.icrs2012.com/Consensus_Statement.htm

And all one would have to do is send a message to the list saying something like:
I support both ISRS consensus statements.
Or I support the 2012 ISRS consensus statement.
Or I support the 2015 ISRS consensus statement.
Or I don’t support the ISRS consensus statements.
Or is most everyone "too busy" even for that minimal level of response?

Very sadly, Steve has written that, given our collective failure to respond, his working group within the recreational diving industry “is now hesitant to promote the ISRS statement within the diving community in part because it is unclear as to the level of peer-reviewed support with which it has been received.” That’s a terrible outcome; I am ashamed for us all.

Yours sincerely,
Judy Lang