[Coral-List] SPAM R2: coral reefs and climate change: new article

Julian julian at reefcheck.org.my
Fri Nov 13 23:34:46 EST 2015

In reference to Doug's article, this is an unscientific personal
observation, but related. I lived on Tioman island, off Malaysia's east
coast for six years running a dive centre, diving at least twice a day for
most of the year. I was a regular visitor for the two years before I moved
there and continued to  dive regularly for a further three years after
leaving the island, so I have about 11 years of observation. No data,
though.

The variation in water temperature for most of those years followed an
annual pattern (again, personal observation, no information from
dataloggers, etc) which began at around 27 degrees centrigrade in Jan/Feb -
end of monsoon season, rising to a maximum of around 29 degrees in the
"summer" months and then falling back to 27 degrees by about November as
monsoon reappeared. All data from my dive computer (which has been the same
for the entire period), but as everyone knows there is variation between
computers.

I have dived there much less frequently in the last three years but I have
been informed that temperature variations do follow broadly the same pattern
but with greater variability in onset-end of monsoon season, and slightly
wider temperature variation.

Two weeks ago I dived two sites that I am very familiar with in Tioman. At
both sites water temperature was 30 degrees (as measured on the same dive
computer) but there were no signs of bleaching. Perhaps a few colonies of
both branching and massive corals were a little pale, but nothing white.

Given that they have been sitting in warm water for a few weeks, is it
possible that these corals might be acclimatising to the slightly higher
temperature? Is it possible that this recent period of warmer than normal
water - but not yet bleaching temperature - will increase their chance of
survival in the coming weeks as the Pacific bleaching heads back west,
according to NOAA predictions?

If anyone is interested, our Tioman Field Station can now provide somewhat
more scientific observation capabilities than my own personal observations,
including better temperature and condition (bleaching) monitoring. Feel free
to contact us if you want more information on the situation in Tioman.

Regards

Julian Hyde
General Manager
Reef Check Malaysia
+60 3 2161 5948
www.reefcheck.org.my
Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/rcmalaysia

HEARD A FISH BOMB? TEXT US AT 011 2532 7368 WITH DATE, TIME AND LOCATION!