[Coral-List] Coral restoration volunteer opportunity
stopher.slade at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 16:20:15 EST 2015
Coral Restoration with The Nature Conservancy in St. Croix USVI.
Job ID# 43714
The Nature Conservancy (TNC) has supported the conservation of coral reefs
and the restoration and recovery of the endangered elkhorn (Acropora
palmata) and staghorn (A. cervicornis) corals in the US Virgin Islands
The project is currently seeking two (2) full-time volunteers to work from
February 1, 2016 – May 28, 2016 possibly until July 1, 2016 depending on
funding availability. The Volunteer Associate will assist with aspects of
the project including nursery maintenance and reef restoration efforts.
Volunteers will be supervised by the Principal Investigator and will work 7
hours a day, 5 days per week (35 hours per week). Although this is an
un-paid volunteer position, TNC will provide housing and reimbursement of
airfare and meal expenses following travel SOP’s.
This is a short-term (4 month) volunteer associate position based on St.
Croix, US Virgin Islands. The Volunteer Associate provides administrative,
research, project management and other general assistance to program or
preserve staff in the operation of a coral restoration project on St.
Croix, USVI. This may include some or all of the following:
- Gathers and synthesizes data relating to coral restoration and
conservation implementation and/or activities.
- Assists in coral nursery maintenance and outplanting activities.
- Assists in the maintenance of equipment, boats, and dive equipment.
The Science Volunteer provides general assistance to program or preserve
*RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE*
- May perform financial or administrative work related to project work
- May purchase equipment and supplies as provided for in budget.
- Associate’s degree in natural resources, environmental studies or
equivalent combination of education and 6 months to 1 year of experience..
- 50-100 SCUBA dives minimum.
- Completing tasks independently within assigned timeframes.
- Managing and prioritizing tasks from multiple sources.
- Performing administrative duties emphasizing detail-oriented and
- Database management skills including report production.
- Communicating clearly via written, spoken, and graphical means in
*SPECIFIC POSITION REQUIREMENTS:*
- SCUBA certification and qualified to meet AAUS Dive Safety Standards (
www.aaus.org). Scientific diving experience preferred. Must have Rescue
Diver certification prior to starting the position.
- Assists in the maintenance of boats and dive equipment. Demonstrated
ability to safely operate a small powerboat preferred. Must have working
knowledge of safety guidelines for operating a boat and must follow all
state, local and federal regulations specified for the operation of the
motorized watercraft. Must follow recommended safety guidelines and
precautions specified for said work.
- Ability to repeatedly lift up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to work as part of a team to achieve identified project goals
- Knowledge of Caribbean stony corals species, survey experience, and
ability to identify critical threats to coral reef ecosystems is preferred.
- Current CPR, First Aid and Oxygen First Aid Certifications and Diving
Medical Exam preferred.
- Valid US driver’s license.
For complete details and how to apply see link above.
The Nature Conservancy
Coral Restoration Scientist
St. Croix USVI.
More information about the Coral-List