[Coral-List] NOAA Press Release - 3rd ever Global Bleaching Event Underway

Risk, Michael riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Fri Oct 9 13:02:37 EDT 2015

Hi Becky.

I sort of agree with John, in that (if this was his point) it is hard to treat bleaching as a local problem amenable to local solutions. It is easy to lapse into pessimism here: to paraphrase Keynes, in the long run, reefs are all dead.

But a thought-experiment can shed light on the need for acting locally.

List all the reefs that have declined as water quality declined.

List all the reefs that have improved as WQ improved. (A MUCH smaller sample size, but: 2 that I know of.)

WQ is the most local of local stresses.

Mike