[Coral-List] Damselfish barcodes wanted. Posted on behalf of Ross Robertson

Lessios, Harilaos LESSIOSH at si.edu
Thu Oct 22 18:19:42 EDT 2015

WANTED: BARCODES OF NEOPOMACENTRUS CYANOMOS (REGAL DEMOISELLE) FROM MANY PARTS OF ITS NATURAL RANGE

The Indo-west Pacific reef damselfish Neopomacentrus cyanomos, aka the Regal demoiselle, is now well established in the southern Gulf of Mexico. We are trying to determine the ultimate source and mode of this introduction. Barcodes of this species from the Seychelles, Madagascar and the northern Great Barrier Reef (these are the only useful barcodes present in BOLD as of October 1, 2015) do not resolve those issues.
Hence we request that people in various other parts of its geographic range (e.g. the Red Sea, E Africa, India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Indonesia, W Australia, the Philippines, Taiwan, and New Caledonia) provide barcodes of this species to help with this effort. Barcoded fish need to be field-caught (NOT supplied by the aquarium trade, which moves fish around a lot) and vouchered (a good photo will do if the fish can't be preserved and kept in a museum collection). Please send barcodes together with related collection-site and voucher information
to: D Ross Robertson (Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, Panama), at drr at stri.org. Thanks for any help.

Ross

Ross Robertson <drr at stri.org>

H.A. Lessios
Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute
Balboa, Panama

Telephone: +507/212-8708
Fax: +507/212-8791
Telephone from the USA (domestic call): 202-212-8708

Mail address:
>From the USA:
UNIT 0948
DPO AA 34002