[Coral-List] Ocean Science 2016 session: Interfacial dynamics on reefs

Marlene Wall mwall at geomar.de
Wed Sep 16 04:33:58 EDT 2015

Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to our session: "Between a Rock and
a Soft Place: Interfacial Dynamics on Reefs and Their Consequences for
reef processes"

Session ID: 9672

Session description:

Interfaces in the marine environment are dominated by diffusive
processes, but metabolic activity influences the dynamics within the
microenvironment created at these interfaces, both at the surface of an
organism, and within the organism itself. Because they are small,
dynamic, and often isolated, microenvironments can be difficult to
characterize. Despite the small scale of microenvironments, they can
have large impacts on the physiology of marine organisms, species
interactions, and large scale ecological processes on reefs. The purpose
of this session is to bring together researchers who are using unique
methods to investigate the dynamics within microenvironments in
reef-dwelling organisms. Investigating these dynamics is essential to
improving our understanding of the interplay between physical, chemical,
and biological processes influencing reef-dwellers, how they may be
influenced by environmental change, and the associated consequences for
reef processes worldwide. We welcome abstracts related to interfacial
dynamics of any benthic marine organisms associated with reef structures.

The deadline for submitting abstracts is September 23^rd 2015 at 23:59 EDT
Submit your abstract: via: http://osm.agu.org/2016/abstract-submissions/

Feel free to pass this along to interested colleagues and contact us if
you have questions.

We look forward to your submissions and an exciting meeting in New Orleans.

Best wishes,

Laurie Hofmann (Max Planck Institute for Marine Microbiology,
Microsensor Group, Bremen, Germany) &
Marlene Wall (GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel, Kiel,
Germany)

--
Dr. Marlene Wall
GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel

phone: +49 (0)431 600-2105