[Coral-List] FADs danger for coral reefs

Steve Palumbi spalumbi at stanford.edu
Fri Sep 18 13:24:10 EDT 2015

Hi Sarah, thanks for this alert. Last year we filmed a  2 minute video on type of FAD that phones the nearest fishing boat and gets the boat to come and scoop up the fish when the FAD detects there are enough around. We call these Robot Fish Killers and they will help eliminate both fish and small scale fishermen from the oceans. It is in The Extreme Life of the Sea, but I just popped it onto YouTube in case others wanted to see it.

https://youtu.be/9eV2UOZ180s <https://youtu.be/9eV2UOZ180s>

I’m curious about how often others see these kinds of machines. And how long they have been floating gout there.

Steve

Stephen R. Palumbi
Harold A Miller Director, Hopkins Marine Station
Jane and Marshall Steel Professor of Biology
Stanford University