[Coral-List] Responding to Coral Bleaching

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Fri Sep 18 14:05:03 EDT 2015

Sorry for the long post (feel free to hit the delete button), but I've been
lurking over the recent, and sometimes heated, discussions - so I don't
know where to start (or finish). As penance, I will fall back into the
shadows for at least a month.

I have to admit a bit of trepidation with the "bounty hunter" approach to
marine conservation.  I'm not weighing in on the pros and cons of specific
methods for specific species... or the need to control populations that are
truly out of control. My concern grows out of having lived long enough and
in many diverse places to view well-meaning but flawed efforts.... and to
see the evolution in our thinking over what is "good" and what is "bad"..
As a result, my first reaction is always to be wary.

Some of us remember failed attempts to maintain "the proper balance"
between elk and beavers as one modifies streams (beavers make dams) and the
other (elk) regulate the surrounding environments trough grazing. The issue
was changing stream gradient and habitat degradation due to beavers damming
the streams and hunters (in this case, wolves and *Homo stupidus*) killing
off all the elk. Because killing hunters was frowned upon for reasons I
never understood, wolves were the primary target.

Six years ago, we had a candidate for our Earth Surface Processes position
who discussed the problems with beavers modifying the biophysical system
(his PhD thesis). The primary drivers were "shown to be" loss of elk and
those damming beavers.

He just came back last year to give a talk..... and apparently the entire
situation has changed. The elk are coming back in droves after stringent
conservation efforts, but the biophysical system is not resetting. The
suggestion is that the the system had reached a "tipping point" beyond
where the fluvial system could reset.... or at least that's what they are
thinking now. The working alternative is that maybe the beavers they drove
out to stabilize the system weren't actually the problem they had
thought... and that the elk-flora connection wasn't as simple as assumed -
nor the wolves.

These working hypotheses are pretty different from the standpoint of
implementing a management plan.... maybe it's beavers... maybe it's elk....
both?..... neither?... how about those wolves????? The answer they have now
is too complicated to lay out here, but suffice it to say that it's pretty
different than what they thought less than a decade ago. So, now we have no
beavers, no wolves, a moderate increase in elk.... and no measurable
improvement.

I also lived through a program in northern Maine where they systematically
went after coyotes that were apparently driving down the deer
population.... a huge source of revenue. 40 years later, there are neither
coyotes nor deer. And, where deer are abundant, we hear complaints that
"there are more deer than when Columbus landed" and that the conflict
between growing populations of deer and farmers is due to the deer side of
the equation. I don't claim to be an expert on the latter balance, but I
have read descriptions of Benedict Arnold having no problem shooting a
couple of deer a day to keep his soldiers well fed en route to Montreal.
Yet, today hunting is pretty dismal along that route. Maybe Benedict shot
straighter than the average hunter today with their semi-automatic rifles.
But, maybe not.

Same story for porcupines. In the early 1960s, we had a hefty bounty on
them, largely because of their drive to find salt.... which attracted them
to the handles of shovels, axes, etc. all valued by any good Mainer. I
could go on, but I'm sure everyone gets the pattern.

So..... lets move on to the present marine system. I'm certainly not
arguing that COTS are "great" for reefs or that invasive Lionfish are
"good" for other Caribbean fauna. However, I have read about efforts to
extirpate damselfish, in some instances characterizing them as the most
negative impact on coral reefs today. While I agree that, pound for pound,
they are the most dangerous beast on the reef, I remember a time when their
"farming" methods were heralded as somewhere between "efficient" and
"necessary for the maintainance of healthy algal turfs".

As I understand the situation, in some places they are nipping off "too
many" polyps to create algal habitat and are, therefore, perceived as a
source of local "reef decline". I was in Belize last summer with the Keck
Geology Consortium and watched a student (not mine) do a great study that
looked at where damsels did and did not "damage" substrate. It turned out
that they nipped away somewhat equally in areas of *A. cervicornis* that
were "healthy" and "not so healthy" but that negative effects were
occurring only in areas that were already degraded. If this is the case,
then killing the fish won't have much of a positive effect (they seem to
only affect corals already on their way out).... and fish biomass is going
to be lower. While this is only one example from one place, the apparent
assumption where damsels have a bounty on their heads is that substrate
loss trumps higher fish biomass, so the damsels have to go.

There has been a long-standing argument about the value in restoring
parrotfish versus reducing emissions. A recent article in *Coral Reefs*
fairly clearly shows that a significant rebound in grazing fish in the
Florida Keys has had no measurable impact on coral cover. We saw similar
patterns in the Virgin Islands in a study that compared coral cover,
macroalgal density and grazers on two reefs 2 km apart - one in Buck Island
National Park and the other on Tague Bay, where years of data were
available from when West Indies Lab was still there.

The long and short of it was that parrotfish numbers were up significantly
in the park for obvious reasons. At the same time, urchin densities along
the Tague Bay forereef were much higher that two decades earlier and, in
some places, were close to what had been reported prior to 1983. At both
sites, macroalgae were essentially non-existant.... but, so were new
corals. The apparent issue was recruitment, but the question is how much of
this was climate change versus changing nutrient dynamics versus
warming/acidification - each having different management implications.

Whatever the explanation, both sites have higher rates of bioerosion today
than they did when grazers were scarce. Because, coral cover has remained
low in both instances, the balance between carbonate production and
bioerosion is going progressively in favor of the latter.... not due to
losses of corals, but rather due to increased bioerosion in an area that is
not recovering with respect to calcification.

>From a purely biological perspective, it might be argued that this is
positive because at least fish biomass is going up. But, this seems
contrary to the argument for aggressive damselfish hunting cited above.....
to paraphrase it as I understand it, "higher fish biomass is not a good
thing in light of all the negative impacts their nipping at corals cause".
So, at what point do we start hunting the parrotfish and urchins to reduce
the negative side of the budget equation?

I am confident that there are people on the listserve closer to some of
these examples that I am... and I will defer to their opinions. My larger
point is that, even if particular examples are off base, there have been
more than enough examples of conservation gone awry from "managing" a
population based on our perceptions of "good" and "bad" at the time. I
often wonder whether the greater hubris exists in our earlier perception
that the world is "our garden" or in our present sense that we can "fix
it". As we discuss the pros and cons of different strategies, we want to be
very careful about our assumptions that are too often based as much on our
personal values as on irrefutable data. As we look toward species that
might be more resistant to warming, we might ask whether they are
"equivalent" to what was there before (recovery vs restoration)? Certainly
there is a tremendous potential for a loss. Do the "better" corals produce
carbonate at similar rates and create skeletons that are similarly robust
to what occurred there before? Putting branching corals at sites previously
dominated by massive species is going to change the resistance of that
community to increasing wave action as storminess is on the rise. And... if
corals are broken more often, they will be moved more easily by those same
waves.In this example faster-growing corals that are more easily broken
could lead to reduced accretion. So, diversity and cover might be at odds
with reef building unless we are very clever.

Changing gears, if the solution for reef islands is "more sand", might
increased bioerosion be "better"? A total budget approach says "no", and I
agree, but I have seen the opposing view expressed here. In addition, to
the extent that bioerosion is contributing to a loss of surface rugosity,
it is lowering the potential for wave reduction. So.... should we be
killing grazers in areas where coral cover is already low so that we can
slow down large-scale reef erosion. Absurd... maybe, but...?

I am advocating for none of these alternatives, but am concerned that we
are not thinking about them and others in a systematic manner. Some of the
suggestions I have made seem as bizarre to me as they probably do to the
readers. However, what we presently know about the complex predator/prey
relationships obviously seemed equally far-fetched to the managers who took
paths we now know to be nonsense. We have backed ourselves into a corner
and dragged the reefs in with us. Perhaps we don't have the time for
rational thought, given the time lag between the creation of "knowledge"
and the implementation of solid "policy" that is based on it. I hope that
the upcoming meeting in Hawaii will give us the opportunity to have
meaningful discussions that can only occur across disciplinary boundaries.
I fear that we are each going to spend most of our time in the same session
because "it's what we do". I hope we can all discuss this further, but
you'll have to catch me as I run from the biology session to the geology
session and then over to hear all about management. There's way too much to
learn that won't be discussed in "my favorite" session.

Dennis