[Coral-List] Bleaching Reports, please

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 16:31:21 EDT 2015

     Helping the NOAA Coral Reef Watch by providing them with bleaching
info helps them improve their predictions in the future, which in turn
helps us all, so sending them reports of your local bleaching helps all of
us and the reefs.  Please send them reports.
     Also, coral-list is an ideal way to inform your colleagues of events
like this as they happen, so bleaching reports, spawning reports, tsunami
reports, mass die-offs, crown-of-thorns outbreaks, etc.  Please keep us
informed.
    The tsunami from the Chile earthquake reached  American Samoa at low
tide, about 1 am local time over 24 hrs ago.  The water rise recorded in
the harbor at the NOAA tide gauge went up about a foot and a half, then
down about two feet.  So the high level was slightly lower than a normal
high tide.  You can see the record online, in real time.
http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/waterlevels.html?id=1770000
I know of no news reports of damage or even of the water coming up over the
high tide line.
     Cheers,  Doug

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 4:49 AM, Mark Eakin <mark.eakin at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Just a quick reminder of the need to report bleaching so we can track the
> growing event.
>
> In the Caribbean, we’ve been getting reports of bleaching in Upper and
> Lower Keys. We’ve heard a little about bleaching at a couple of sites in
> Cuba and mention of bleaching starting in Haiti. However, much of the
> central Bahamas is at Alert Level 1, along with all of the Keys (Upper and
> Lower Keys now at Alert Level 2), and Cuba, especially along the northern
> coast.
>
> In the Pacific, Alert Level 2 conditions continue across the nation of
> Kiribati and we have had a few reports from Kanton and the island of
> Kiribati. All of the Main Hawaiian Islands are under Alert Level 1 and
> reports have started coming in from not only Oahu, but also Maui and the
> big island.
>
> We really need two things:
> 1) Quick emails to let us know what you are seeing out there. Rough
> percentages of bleaching, location, and date is sufficient to just let us
> know where bleaching is ongoing. Please email your reports to
> coralreefwatch at noaa.gov <mailto:coralreefwatch at noaa.gov>
> 2) Bleaching reports using the qualitative and forms found on our
> bleaching reporting webpage:
> http://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/research/coral_bleaching_report.php
> <
> http://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/research/coral_bleaching_report.php>.
> These are needed to fully document the event and to compare against our
> satellite-based products.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

> C. Mark Eakin, Ph.D.
> Coordinator, NOAA Coral Reef Watch
> National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
> Center for Satellite Applications and Research
> Satellite Oceanography & Climate Division
> e-mail: mark.eakin at noaa.gov
> url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov
>
> NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction (NCWCP)
> 5830 University Research Ct., E/RA32
> College Park, MD 20740
> Office: (301) 683-3320     Fax: (301) 683-3301
> Mobile: (301) 502-8608    SOCD Office: (301) 683-3300
>
> “There is legitimate scientific debate over the pace and effects of
> climate change but no legitimate debate over the fact of the earth’s
> warming or over man’s contribution."
> William D. Ruckelshaus, EPA Administrator under President Ronald Reagan,
> June 18 2014

Douglas Fenner
Contractor with Ocean Associates, Inc.
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

phone 1 684 622-7084

Join the International Society for Reef Studies.  Membership includes a
subscription to the journal Coral Reefs, there are discounts for pdf
subscriptions and developing countries.  www.fit.edu/isrs/

"Belief in climate change is optional, participation is not."- Jim Beever.
  "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts."-
Daniel Patrick Moynihan.

Global warming 'hiatus' trashed by new study.
http://www.rtcc.org/2015/09/17/global-warming-hiatus-trashed-by-new-study/

King Coal and the queen of subsidies
(total subsidies for coal worldwide exceed $3 Trillion.)
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/349/6254/1286.full?utm_campaign=email-sci-toc

Worst-case scenario: if we burn all remaining fossil fuels, Antarctica
would melt entirely, raise sea level 200 feet.
http://www.newsweek.com/worst-case-scenario-if-we-burn-all-remaining-fossil-fuels-antarctica-would-371280

website:  http://independent.academia.edu/DouglasFenner

blog: http://ocean.si.edu/blog/reefs-american-samoa-story-hope