[Coral-List] new paper on Coral Triangle conservation planning for multiple objectives

Maria Beger m.beger at uq.edu.au
Tue Sep 29 16:08:54 EDT 2015

Dear Colleagues,

I wanted to draw your attention to a paper that was published this month in Nature Communications: "Integrating regional conservation priorities for multiple objectives into national policy".

Here we evaluate trade-offs amongst conservation priorities arising from different objectives within the Coral Triangle, with objectives derived from the Coral Triangle Initiatives' plan of action: represent habitats, support threatened species, ensure connectivity, and adapt to climate change.  We develop a framework that gives countries around the Coral Triangle the choice to protect multi-objective hotspots that benefit many different management goals and species, complementary areas that benefit particular goals and species, or a combination of both.

This paper is a step towards developing a transparent strategy for collaborating countries to target both collaboration-wide and national goals and aspirations.  Technically speaking, we used novel approaches to incorporating larval dispersal connectivity, turtle tracks, spawning aggregations and climate change impacts into a spatial prioritisation; these methods might also interest some of you.

Beger M, McGowan J, Treml E, Green A, White AT, Wolff NH, Klein C, Mumby P, & Possingham HP. Integrating regional conservation priorities for multiple objectives into national policy. Nature Communications.10.1038/ncomms9208.
Link: http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2015/150914/ncomms9208/full/ncomms9208.html
Media: http://ceed.edu.au/images/media_releases/CEED_Coral_Triangle_15Sept2015.pdf

Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions!

Best wishes, Maria

Dr Maria Beger
Research Fellow
Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Environmental Decisions
The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia

+61 7 3346 0880 Tel
m.beger at uq.edu.au<mailto:m.beger at uq.edu.au> Email
mariabeger Skype
www.nras-conservation.org<http://www.nras-conservation.org/> conservation in the Marshall Islands
www.ceed.edu.au<http://www.ceed.edu.au/> coe for environmental decisions
http://marinepalaeoecology.org/maria-beger/ subtropical reefs project

SCB Oceania July 5-8 2016 - Call for Symposia open now
http://brisbane2016.scboceania.org<http://brisbane2016.scboceania.org/>/

DON'T MISS OUT - SUBSCRIBE TO DECISION POINT
www.decision-point.com.au<http://www.decision-point.com.au/>