[Coral-List] Replying to Peter Sale Coral Restoration

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Wed Sep 30 17:57:26 EDT 2015

Hi Austin:

Perhaps a perspective of geological ignorance... but there seems to be some
inconsistency in your statements. As I understand it, the idea is to a)
"put [corals] back onto managed reefs", where b) "what killed them in the
first place is at least partially solved" but c) "they have not returned on
their own".

The assumption seems to be that the solution is to restore the degree of
sexual recruitment because the root causes have been "at least partially
solved". It seems equally plausible that the stresses, although lower, are
still sufficient to discourage success? There is probably much more to this
than I am aware of, but based solely on what you have outlined, it seems
like there is a presumption that sexual recruitment will bring success, but
that we don't have much experimental data derived from systems where that
has led to recovery - or do we?

Personally, I've never had a problem with people rearing or transplanting
corals as long as they are not making any money on it (and I'm not
inferring in any way that you are). The problem for me is that there ARE a
lot of people being paid to transplant healthy corals into marginal
habitats as "mitigation" to offset removing them from where they were doing
well in the first place.

So, you are to be lauded for your goals and I hope this is a huge success
where little else has worked. But, I'm not sure it's time yet to argue that
Peter is not justified in his pessimism.

Best,

Dennis

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 4:57 PM, Austin Bowden-Kerby <abowdenkerby at gmail.com