[Coral-List] A couple rays of hope??

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 15:17:21 EDT 2016

    I received an email from John Bruno which alerted me to his criticism
of the articles:

 These scientists studying coral reefs were brought to tears-- but in a
good way.  LA Times

and

Smith et al.  January, 2016.  Re-evaluating the health of coral reef
communities: baselines and evidence for human impacts across the Central
Pacific.  Proceedings of the Royal Society B 283

John wrote me that:

"Hi Doug, these articles and the Smith et al ms it is based on are total
baloney.  The study shows human presence has no effect on coral or
macroalal cover.  These isolated reefs are as impacted and degraded (in
terms of the benthos) as reefs adjacent to overpopulated islands.  CCA is
not equivalent to reef-building corals and isn’t a metric of “reef health”.
"

He pointed me to his blog, which explains in considerable detail and
provides evidence:

http://goo.gl/aYQ0c2

Cheers,  Doug