[Coral-List] Bleaching refuges

Mark Eakin mark.eakin at noaa.gov
Wed Apr 20 15:30:07 EDT 2016

Shade cloth and sprinklers were both tried on the GBR a few years back. Shade cloth had major logistical hurdles but sprinklers adding capillary waves reduced light by up to 25% without as many issues.

Unfortunately, the corals responded to less light by increasing their zooxanthellae. The shading work that had been spearheaded by the University of Queensland was abandoned.

More recent work has tried cooling reefs and increasing flow. Feeding corals might event work.

We need to try multiple ideas and share the results widely.

With all the bleaching that is now going on and is likely to continue through the end of the year or longer, there are lots of opportunities to experiment.

You can follow our satellite-based monitoring and climate model-based forecasts on social media at:
Twitter: @CoralReefWatch
FB: Coral Reef Watch

Cheers,
Mark

C. Mark Eakin, Ph.D.
Coordinator, NOAA Coral Reef Watch
Center for Satellite Applications and Research
Satellite Oceanography & Climate Division
e-mail: mark.eakin at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov
Twitter: @CoralReefWatch	FB: Coral Reef Watch

NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction (NCWCP)
5830 University Research Ct., E/RA32
College Park, MD 20740
Office: (301) 683-3320     Fax: (301) 683-3301
Mobile: (301) 502-8608    SOCD Office: (301) 683-3300

“Cynicism has never won a war, or cured a disease, or started a business, or fed a young mind, or sent men into space.  Cynicism is a choice.  Hope is a better choice.”
President Barack Obama, June 14 2014