[Coral-List] couple more articles on the Amazon reefs in the press

Rodrigo Leão de Moura moura.uesc at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 11:32:19 EDT 2016

Hello Guys,

Of course this major reef system did not emerge suddenly out of the blue
(brown)! Collette & Rutzler reported sponges and reef fishes from the
Amazon mouth in the 1970's (specimens lost), Moura et al. described a rich
coral and fish assemblage in the southern end of the Amazon mouth (publ. in
Coral Reefs), and Cordeiro et al. recently checklisted cnidarians, from a
collection of scattered museum specimens (Bull Mar Sci). The Brazilian
Environmental Agency, IBAMA, along the last decades, has also reported
massive yields of reef fishes (groupers, snappers) and lobsters from that
region. There are other relevant pieces here and there (cited in our
paper), but information about the carbonate structures and the massive
rhodolith beds around the structures was lacking.

We are now providing a more comprehensive overview of the Amazon reef
system, derived from an ongoing research program that initially involved
Brazilian and US scientists, and now also includes Australian and European
collaborators. Our paper shows the dimensions of the Amazon reef system,
how it evolved, and how it is currently structured and dynamically
interacting with the river plume. There are insights regarding the effects
of climate changes over reef systems (e.g. microbial and benthic cover
particular system as a biogeographic corridor, and its importance as a
fishing ground. We are also expressing concerns about the future of this
unique coralgal + sponge assemblage due to ESCALATING oil & gas drilling
off the Amazon Mouth. The journalists are telling their stories too, but
this is a completely different dimension: some are saying the system has
1km2 and others referred it to Peru...

The full (scientific) story is told in our paper and SM (includes
downloadable shape files, updated species lists, microbial metagenomes,
movies, pictures, etc):
http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/2/4/e1501252
http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/suppl/2016/04/19/2.4.e1501252.DC1

You may also be interested in other major South Atlantic "marginal reefs"
where our group is working at:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0035171
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278434313001362

A full list of our contributions may be found here:
http://www.abrolhos.org/publicacoes.php

Warm Regards from Rio,

--
*Rodrigo Leão de Moura, Dr.*
Professor Adjunto, Instituto de Biologia

http://lattes.cnpq.br/8814217649491828
http://www.abrolhos.org <http://www.mouralab.org/>
http://www.mouralab.com

cel: + 55 (21) 99609-2724        skype: r.moura