[Coral-List] An extensive reef system at the Amazon River mouth

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 04:43:47 EDT 2016

     I would add that oil industry equipment has been implicated in the
introduction of two invasive corals, both in genus Tubastraea, to Brazil,
where they have been documented to be expanding rapidly and to be
displacing native fauna as they take space on substrates.  The Wanless and
Yeo articles below indicate that many other organisms are transported on
some oil rigs besides corals.
     Then there are oil spills, perhaps the BP Deepwater Horizon being the
most famous recent event.
     Cheers,  Doug

Some references:

De Paula, A.F., Creed, J.C., 2004. Two species of the coral *Tubastraea*
(Cnidaria, Scleractinia) in Brazil: a case of accidental introduction.
Bulletin of Marine Science 74, 175-183.

Lages, B.G., Fleury, B.G., Menegola, C., Creed, J.C., 2011. Change in
tropical rocky shore communities due to an alien coral invasion. Marine
Ecology Progress Series 438, 85-96.

Mantelatto, M., Creed, J., Mourão, G., Migotto, A., Lindner, A., 2011.
Range expansion of the invasive corals Tubastraea coccinea and Tubastraea
tagusensis in the Southwest Atlantic. Coral Reefs 30, 397-397.

Mantelatto, M.C., Creed, J.C., 2014. Non-indigenous sun corals invade
mussel beds in Brazil. Marine Biodiversity, 1-2.

Riul, P., Targino, C.H., Júnior, L.A.C., Creed, J.C., Horta, P.A., Costa,
G.C., 2013. Invasive potential of the coral Tubastraea coccinea in the
southwest Atlantic. Marine Ecology Progress Series 480, 73-81.

Silva, A.G.d., Paula, A.F.d., Fleury, B.G., Creed, J.C., 2014. Eleven years
of range expansion of two invasive corals (Tubastraea coccinea and
Tubastraea tagusensis) through the southwest Atlantic (Brazil). Estuarine,
Coastal and Shelf Science 141, 9-16.

Wanless, R., Scott, S., Sauer, W.H., Andrew, T., Glass, J., Godfrey, B.,
Griffiths, C., Yeld, E., 2010. Semi-submersible rigs: a vector transporting
entire marine communities around the world. Biological Invasions 12,
2573-2583.

Yeo, D.C.J., Ahyong, S.T., Lodge, D.M., Ng, P.K.L., Naruse, T., Lane,
D.J.W., 2009. Semisubmersible oil platforms: understudied and potentially
major vectors of biofouling-mediated invasions. Biofouling 26, 179-186.

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 10:32 AM, Rodrigo Leão de Moura <
moura.uesc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Professor Shinn, I appreciate your wise comments about the long term
> resilience of reefs and the large scale of our ignorance about these
> ancient and fascinating ecosystems. However, I would like to add that the
> concerns with oil & gas drilling expressed in "The Atlantic" article and in
> our paper go beyond the immediate impacts from local damage from drilling
> itself. Brazil's response capabilities to oil spills and mining disasters
> are very limited, and we are currently haunted by large scale contamination
> of drainages and coastal ecosystems, including our unique Abrolhos reef
> system (www.abrolhos.org). As you are probably aware, despite our
> economy's
> size, Brazil's democracy is not as stable as it should be, institutions are
> overall weak, and environmental agencies have very limited reach. If an
> accident occurs in the very dynamic Amazon shelf, we might take several
> months before starting to respond appropriately. There is a rush towards
> hydrocarbons in the Amazon shelf, including expensive and high-risk
> deep-water drilling, and it is expected that compatible investments on
> research, conservation, and environmental management (e.g. fisheries) are
> also made. It is indeed surprising that the Amazon reefs were not
> considered in previous EIAs from oil companies...  From my humble
> perspective, another neglected issue in terms of the environmental and
> social impacts of oil & gas exploitation is the sudden flow of millions of
> dollars in regions that suffer from extreme poverty and endemic corruption.
> I strongly believe that well-informed pressures and a close watch from the
> international community, especially scientists, might help us change this
> sad status quo.
>
> Here are a few "references" to the points I am raising. Could fill several
> pages with evidence supporting my statements.
>
> Warm Regards, Rodrigo
>

> http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2015/12/seeking-answers-catastrophic-brazil-disaster-151224071626923.html
>

> http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2015/nov/25/brazils-mining-tragedy-dam-preventable-disaster-samarco-vale-bhp-billiton
>

> http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/09/business/international/effects-of-petrobras-scandal-leave-brazilians-lamenting-a-lost-dream.html?_r=0
>

> http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2016/04/21/the-real-reason-behind-the-impeachment-of-brazils-president-dilma-rousseff/#2cfc1bf06759
>

> --
> *Rodrigo Leão de Moura, Dr.*
> Professor Adjunto, Instituto de Biologia
> Pesquisador Associado ao SAGE/COPPE
> Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro
>
> http://lattes.cnpq.br/8814217649491828
> http://www.abrolhos.org <http://www.mouralab.org/>
> http://www.mouralab.com
>
> cel: + 55 (21) 99609-2724        skype: r.moura

> > The rediscovery of a deep “reef” off the mouth of the Amazon is
> > certainly an exciting newsmaker that once again demonstrates how little
> [...]

Douglas Fenner
Contractor for NOAA NMFS, and consultant
"have regulator, will travel"
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

phone 1 684 622-7084

Join the International Society for Reef Studies.  Membership includes a
subscription to the journal Coral Reefs, and there are discounts for pdf
subscriptions and developing countries.  Check it out!  www.fit.edu/isrs/

"Belief in climate change is optional, participation is not."- Jim Beever.
  "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts."-
Daniel Patrick Moynihan.

Carbon tax: a cheap, proven fix to the world's biggest problem.  (revenue
neutral)

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/19/opinions/sutter-carbon-tax-washington-british-columbia/index.html

Earth's hot streak continues for a record 11 months.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/earths-hot-streak-continues-record-152700358.html

Solar can power more than 100 times America's current electricity needs, a
new report finds

http://www.theclimategroup.org/what-we-do/news-and-blogs/solar-can-power-more-than-100-times-americas-current-electricity-needs-new-report-finds

website:  http://independent.academia.edu/DouglasFenner

blog: http://ocean.si.edu/blog/reefs-american-samoa-story-hope