[Coral-List] getting science to the public clearly and unambiguously is difficult

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 20:51:05 EDT 2016

Steve,
    One small thing that might be part of the problem is that way too often
the media and many of us, refer to "scientific opinion" or "scientists
believe that."  Both of those statements are compatible with a world view
that scientists are just like everyone else, they have their own opinions
or beliefs, and theirs are no better than anyone else's.  That manifests
itself in the frequent statements of climate deniers that scientists just
have a different religion than other people, and that they stick to their
beliefs no matter what (just like deniers, though they don't point that out
about themselves).  All this omits a critical difference between science
and other ways of knowing.  And that is the role of evidence, and the
quality and quantity of evidence.  Science isn't just based on blind faith,
it is based on hard empirical evidence, and the testing and rejecting of
alternative hypotheses.  It has a long history of the refinement of the
logic of understanding the strength of different kinds of evidence,
including hypothesis-testing and the use of statistics.  This is not to say
that there are no other ways of knowing that have value, far from it.
There are lots of things that science can't test, or for which evidence
available is limited in various ways.  There are other ways of knowing that
use different rules of evidence, such as the legal profession.  BUT,
science is not just about opinion and belief, without a basis in evidence,
fact and logic.  Testing ideas against the real world, instead of clinging
to beliefs in spite of all the evidence.  Steve was just using the term
"scientific opinion" and there certainly is a role of "expert opinion",
that's one that is informed by the evidence and logic.
       The important difference is that science is based on the strongest
evidence available, and many beliefs out there are not.  Many are called
"pseudoscience", and there are many others as well, politics is often full
of them.  I advocate referring to "scientific evidence" as much as possible
instead of "scientists believe" because otherwise the public easily
discounts the quality and quantity of evidence that statements are based
on, and that is a critical difference between science and many other
thought systems.  I think we shoot ourselves in the foot when we say
"scientific opinion" or "scientists believe", we have a much stronger base
than that.
      Cheers,  Doug

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 7:22 AM, Steve Mussman <sealab at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Interesting thoughts on what is characterized as a significant level of
> ineffectual communication on the part of the scientific community in their
> attempts to explain science (including coral science) to the broader public
> at large. I seem to have come full circle on this one. After years of
> focusing on what coral scientists (and the diving industry) could do to
> convey science to the public more persuasively, I am now convinced that we
> are focusing on the wrong point of contention. The science by now is clear,
> well supported and to anyone with an open mind, quite convincingly
> articulated. I no longer believe that it would change anything even if
> every coral scientist suddenly became an activist dedicating their lives to
> more effectively communicating "the message".
>
> An upcoming editorial in Scientific American perhaps points to the real
> problem at hand.
>
> http://www.rawstory.com/2016/08/scientific-american-sounds-
> alarm-on-trump-he-takes-antiscience-to-previously-unexplored-terrain/
>
> We have to recognize that a significant percentage of the population
> (American and elsewhere) is behaving as if The Enlightenment never
> happened. For many, tribal influences are supplanting science as the most
> reliable sources of knowledge and wisdom. This is not just a phenomenon
> typified by the relatively uneducated. As the above mentioned editorial
> emphasizes, we now have a major party candidate for president who has to
> some degree successfully used anti-science rhetoric to gain popular
> support. On a personal level, I know of too many thoughtful, well-educated
> individuals who simply reject scientific opinion because they are
> influenced more by other forms of cultural pedagogy. To me if this analysis
> holds true, we are really confronting a different problem requiring a focus
> not so much on getting the message out, but on re-establishing the
> authoritative nature of the source itself (science). As writer Shawn Otto
> has warned, " . . . the new science denialism is creating an
>  existential crisis like few the country has faced before".
>
> In that light, in order for coral reefs to survive, we may be in need of
> more than an effective scientific message. We may in fact be in need of a
> full-blown campaign to restore the symbolic legitimacy of science.
>
> Regards,
> Steve

Douglas Fenner
Contractor for NOAA NMFS, and consultant
"have regulator, will travel"
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

phone 1 684 622-7084

Join the International Society for Reef Studies.  Membership includes a
subscription to the journal Coral Reefs, and there are discounts for pdf
subscriptions and developing countries.  Coral Reefs is the only journal
that is ALL coral reef articles, and it has amazingly LOW prices compared
to other journals.  Check it out!  www.fit.edu/isrs/

"Belief in climate change is optional, participation is not."- Jim Beever.
  "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts."-
Daniel Patrick Moynihan.

NASA: sea ice settling into 'new normal'
https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/a465bdcb-fd72-30c8-86e1-e6993d007ff0/nasa%3A-sea-ice-settling-into.html
Arctic sea ice has stabilized over the last 10 years or so.  But then, the
average world surface temperature hit a high in 1998 (El Nino year) and did
not break that for over 10 years.  But now surface temperatures are
breaking all time records every year and in most months.  So unless the
laws of physics and the melting temperature of water change, soon Arctic
sea ice will begin setting new lows.

Earth's hot streak continues with warmest May since at least 1880.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/climate-just-phoning-now-may-193634823.html

website:  http://independent.academia.edu/DouglasFenner

blog: http://ocean.si.edu/blog/reefs-american-samoa-story-hope