[Coral-List] Trump's MPAs

Lance Morgan Lance.Morgan at marine-conservation.org
Mon Dec 5 14:30:01 EST 2016

New report on marine reserves in US

The report: https://marine-conservation.org/media/filer_public/filer_public/2016/12/01/seastates_us_2016_web.pdf

The PR: https://blog.marine-conservation.org/2016/12/seastates-2016.html

Cheers,
Lance
-----Original Message-----
From: coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov [mailto:coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov] On Behalf Of Paul Sammarco
Sent: Monday, December 5, 2016 7:31 AM
To: 'David Medio' <davidmedio123 at gmail.com>; coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
Subject: Re: [Coral-List] Trump's MPAs

Dear David and Coral-List folks,

If the political trend is to reduce MPA number and size within US jurisdiction, then it might be wise to prioritize what exists now and pass those priorities along to the new Executive Branch of the US Government.  That is, if we have to lose something, which are those areas we really want to save - above all others, which are of medium rank, and which areas can we put up with losing, if we absolutely have to.  If we do this prioritization in advance, we will be the first cab off the rank with recommendations to government, saving them a lot of work, which they might be grateful for.  Plus, the relevant agencies will be reviewing this material and considering it for comment, and may not have to come up with their own rankings de novo.  Even if so, those rankings would hopefully be similar to our own.

Food for thought.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul W. Sammarco, Ph.D.
Professor
Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium (LUMCON)
8124 Hwy. 56
Chauvin, LA  70344-2110

1-985-851-2876 (tel)
1-985-851-2874 (FAX)