[Coral-List] Job opening at Mote's Tropical Research Laboratory
adungan at mote.org
Tue Dec 6 12:07:30 EST 2016
*Staff Chemist – Ocean Acidification*
The Ocean Acidification Program at Mote Marine Laboratory seeks a staff
chemist with a minimum 2 years experience with experimental seawater ocean
acidification facilities. This position will be located in Summerland Key,
Florida at the Mote Tropical Research Laboratory (Mote TRL). General duties
to be performed include working with OAFTERU (Ocean Acidification Flow Thru
Experimental Raceway Units) at Mote TRL. This includes maintaining the
water system, keeping track of and ordering all supplies and materials,
running alkalinity, dissolved inorganic carbon, and other water quality
parameters, maintaining the dry ocean acidification (OA) laboratory,
keeping all OA-related work organized, data entry, sample collection, and
some field work. This position has the possibility for proposal and
publication writing. The staff chemist will also be responsible for
mentoring student interns year round. This position might require longer
days and some weekend work. Travel to the main lab in Sarasota, Florida is
possible. Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs. and must be able to work in a
hot/outdoor environment. Open water SCUBA required, AAUS SCUBA preferred.
1. B.S required, M.S preferred. Preferably with a chemistry or ocean
2. Knowledge of coral reef ecosystems.
3. Facility with standard computer software, data handling
applications such as R and database management.
4. U.S. citizenship or foreign citizen’s U.S. work permit appropriate
for the work is required.
1. Knowledge of ocean acidification, CO2Sys software, monitoring
2. Previous laboratory and experimental systems experience, especially
with carbonate chemistry instruments
3. Familiar with marine organism experimental testing equipment
(tanks, pumps, filters, heaters, etc.)
4. Familiar with organism life support for ocean acidification testing
5. Ability to move, live and work in a remote location (Florida Keys)
7. Willing to work with groups from other institutions
8. Open water SCUBA required, AAUS Scuba preferred
9. Boat handling skills preferred
Interested applicants should submit as a single electronic file, 1) a cover
letter, 2) resume, and 3) the names and contact information for three
references, before 5pm January 10, 2017 to HumanResources at mote.org.
Alternatively, a single package of all requested elements may be submitted
to Mote Marine Laboratory, Attn: Human Resources, 1600 Ken Thompson
Parkway, Sarasota, FL 34236.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Additional questions can be directed to the Ocean Acidification Program
Manager, Dr. Emily Hall (emily8 at mote.org).
Ocean Acidification Program
Mote Tropical Research Laboratory
24244 Overseas Highway,
Summerland Key, FL 33042
adungan at mote.org
(607) 684 - 3062
More information about the Coral-List