[Coral-List] Call for Proposals -- 24th Annual Hawaiʻi Conservation Conference

Tina Lee coordinator at hawaiiconservation.org
Fri Dec 9 21:00:45 EST 2016

*CALL FOR PROPOSALS NOW OPEN!*
<http://www.hawaiiconservation.org/conference/2017-hawaii-conservation-conference>
(deadline January 26th, 2017)

The 24th Annual Hawai‘i Conservation Conference:
*He Waʻa, He Moku – Mālama Honua: Caring for Our Island Earth
<http://www.hawaiiconservation.org/conference/2017-hawaii-conservation-conference>*
July 18th-20th, 2017
Hawai‘i Convention Center
Honolulu, Hawaiʻi

“He waʻa he moku, he moku he waʻa”, translates simply as “the canoe is an
island, and the island is a canoe.” This ʻōlelo noʻeau, or proverb, was
shared by Clay Bertelmann and Na Kālai Waʻa and has been adopted by
resource stewards throughout Hawaiʻi. This theme reminds us that on a
planet, as on an island, as in a canoe, we should care for our limited
resources and for each other because our well-being and even our survival
depends on it. In Hawaiʻi and around the world, like on a waʻa, or voyaging
canoe, we must work together to ensure the sustainability of our
communities, our islands, our archipelago, and our planet. Effective
stewardship will require cultural knowledge as well as the best available
science and technology, traditional and innovative management tools, and
collaboration between all sectors.

The concept of “Mālama Honua”, caring for our earth, is being carried
across the globe by the Hōkūleʻa and Hikianalia, sailing waʻa of the
Polynesian Voyaging Society. At home, we honor their work by striving to
leave a legacy of sustainability and reversed decline of natural resources.
In 2016, the International Union for the Conservation of Nature World
Conservation Congress was held in Honolulu, putting our islands on the
global stage and compelling us to think of our impact around the world. As
the waʻa return home in 2017, we reflect on our global ties, our legacy for
the future, and the work we must do to keep on course.

The *Hawaiʻi Conservation Conference Organizing Committee is soliciting
proposals for symposia, forums, workshops, trainings and individual oral or
poster presentations* under the following four tracks, which align with the
four strategic goals of the Hawaiʻi Conservation Alliance (HCA). Integrated
and transdisciplinary approaches to research, management and innovative
solutions that involve community and/or cultural knowledge as a best
practice are encouraged. We encourage all conservation scientists,
managers, and practitioners to submit abstracts for oral or poster
presentations for the following tracks or for consideration in General
Sessions.

The following tracks are encouraged for consideration:

   - Cultural Integration
   - Effective Conservation and Restoration
   - Biosecurity and Invasive Species Management
   - Building Capacity

Please visit our proposal page
<http://www.hawaiiconservation.org/conference/2017-hawaii-conservation-conference/participate/call-for-proposals>
for
submission and formatting requirements.

--

*Tina Lee*
Program Coordinator

coordinator at hawaiiconservation.org
www.hawaiiconservation.org
* <HCAprogrammanager at gmail.com>*

2017 Hawaiʻi Conservation Conference Call for Proposals
<http://www.hawaiiconservation.org/conference/2017-hawaii-conservation-conference/participate/call-for-proposals>
is now open!  The deadline for submission is January 26th, 2017.