[Coral-List] Trump, Climate Change, and GOP Values

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 21 17:42:05 EST 2016

Dear Ellen and Listers,

Good article, it is right on point and should help to broaden the appeal, but at this particular moment in time I have to wonder if the tone and/or specifics of the message really matter. It seems to me, that now more than ever, a clear line has been drawn in the sand. Public perceptions of climate change seem to have settled in polarized positions and there they have dug in with such tenacity as to become virtually unmovable. No doubt some effort should remain to win over converts, but it doesn't seem like we are getting anywhere by tweaking the message regardless of how logical, factual and compelling  the arguments may be.
The big question now seems to be can we (and coral reefs) tolerate at least a four year hiatus on federal initiatives designed to mitigate the impacts of climate change? If not,  perhaps we need to refocus our efforts on developing, supporting and promoting private, state-led and international initiatives that hopefully will be forthcoming designed to offset the ominous policy shifts that we anticipate are just over the horizon.
Warm Regards,
Steve