[Coral-List] Siltation Monitoring with 0.1 mm Detection Publicly Demonstrated

Ulf Erlingsson ceo at lindorm.com
Tue Feb 2 09:22:58 EST 2016

The proof is in the pudding, they say. So in a public event yesterday, we let anybody who came to see for himself how the SediMeter detects 0.1 mm of sedimentation, every time. We have uploaded a video from the event here: https://youtu.be/39rCFIOtXYs

In the video you can see how the instrument reports the bottom level with 10 µm resolution (0.001 cm). When the tank was left in a steady state with no sediment added, the measured level was also steady to within ±10 µm.

The publications mentioned in the video are:
Erlingsson, Ulf, 1990: Geomorphological development of the bottoms off Österlen, southernmost Sweden. UNGI Rapport 76, 136 p. (doctoral thesis)
Erlingsson, Ulf, 1991: A sensor for measuring erosion and deposition. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology, Vol. 61, Nr. 4, pp. 620-623.

I trust that with this the record is put straight. The SediMeter is perfectly capable of measuring siltation from sediment spill to the precision required - even as it refers to corals that can die from as little as 1 mm of sediment accumulation.

Ulf Erlingsson, Ph.D.
President and CEO
Lindorm, Inc.
10699 NW 123 St Rd