[Coral-List] Open Letter to USACE regarding siltation monitoring instrument for coral reefs

Ulf Erlingsson ceo at lindorm.com
Fri Feb 12 10:34:17 EST 2016

Dear Coral Listers,

As you know, when dredging PortMiami the siltation on the coral reefs was not monitored in real time, and as we found out, the siltation monitoring instrument that I invented back in 1985 was not even considered since the USACE wrote a report saying that it was useless on scales less than 1 mm. They did not even reference the scientific literature that already 25 years ago said that it was capable of detecting 0.1 mm of sedimentation.

Now that Port Everglades in Ft Lauderdale is up for dredging, the argument against using this real time monitoring system is the same as it was in Miami. It is therefore that I decided to write an open letter to the USACE and put the record straight. The SediMeter is PERFECTLY able to measure 0.1 mm of sedimentation, making that argument in invalid.

The open letter to USACE is published here: http://sedimeter.com/?p=137

Ulf Erlingsson, Ph.D.
President and CEO
Lindorm, Inc.