[Coral-List] Two new MASNA Education Pages: Palette Surgeonfish Aquaculture and Lionfish Education

Kevin Erickson kevinperickson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 19:56:05 EST 2016

MASNA is a non-profit organization composed of marine aquarium clubs and
individual hobbyists from North America and abroad, totaling several
thousand individuals.

MASNA and its volunteers have put together two new educational articles,
one on the aquaculture of the Palette Surgeonfish, and one on invasive
Lionfish Education.

The Palette Surgeonfish Aquaculture article (
http://masna.org/masna-programs/palette-surgeonfish/) details the work
being done in the captive breeding and rearing of the common Palette
Surgeonfish (P. hepatus), and Yellow Tang (Z. flavescens) by hobbyists,
corporations, and scientists alike. Detailing successes and efforts from
sources such as Rising Tide Conservation, The Oceanic Institute in Hawaii,
Sustainable Aquatics, the Fisheries Research Institute of Taiwan, and even
home hobbyists such as Darren Nancarrow. We delve into the success rates,
feeding regime, and success stories of breeding and raising these difficult
fish.

Along with this, we cover the upcoming Disney movie, Finding Dory; the
possible ramifications the film will have on the hobbyist and industry
alike, and the stance the cast and producers are taking regarding the
subject of releasing captive housed livestock back into open waterways.

The Lionfish Education article (
http://masna.org/masna-programs/lionfish-education/) details the current
invasive epidemic of the common P. volitans and P. miles Lionfish in
Atlantic and Caribbean waterways. Reaching back to the first known
sightings of these invasive species, possible methods of their
introductions, and steps being taken to remove and eradicate current
populations, the Lionfish Education Guide is essential information for the
hobbyist and any recreational diver planning on visiting the afflicted
areas.

>From anecdotal and professional information concerning the historical and
current spread and locale of the invasive species, scientists trace back
potential sources of their introduction into non-native waterways. Looking
into the genealogical histories of captured specimens, behaviors and
impacts of native species, and work being done by local fisherman and
volunteers, we can educate hobbyists and professionals on how to react to
seeing these fish in their daily dives and what they can do to help ease
the burden being caused by these animals.

Both articles are geared toward education and presentation for hobbyist,
club, and professional aquarists. The articles can be accessed for free at
www.masna.org, and are made for immediate and easy dispersal. Additional
information has been included in these articles in the forms of media and
external links for those wishing to further their education and
understanding of these items.

If you would like to become a supporting member or sponsor of MASNA and our
programs, please join us at http://www.masna.org/join-masna/. Your support
will assist us in our goals to Educate, Assist, Support, and Encourage
marine aquarium societies and hobbyists across North America.

MACNA 2016 will be held this year in San Diego, California from September 9
through September 11, 2016. We hope to see everyone in attendance this year
for another great show.

To contact us, please visit our website at www.masna.org, or email us at
publicrelations at masna.org.