[Coral-List] Increasing alkalinity on a reef increases calcification

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Fri Feb 26 12:32:38 EST 2016

Hi Peter:

I didn't have a chance to look at the paper in detail, but the crux of the
presentation was that community-level calcification went up significantly
when the pH was changed (by adding NaOH and not taking away CO2). SO, while
this is something (we think) we knew, I thought this was a great way to go
back in time, keeping everything the same axcept ocean chemistry.

I had a nice but short chat with the presenter after what I thought was a
superb talk asking why she (I'd have to go back to the schedule to see if
it was the senior author of the Nature paper) thought that community-scale
calcification went down that much if corals could control pH (and aragonite
saturation state) within their calcification spaces. She commented that the
reef flat was dominated by coralline algae (which don't pump ions to my
knowledge) with many fewer corals So, community structure counts and, as in
the earlier discussion of ENSO, context and language count.

Best,

Denny