[Coral-List] Increasing alkalinity on a reef increases calcification

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 16:20:51 EST 2016

More popular press on the article:

How do you save a sick coral reef?  Pop an antacid.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/02/how-do-you-save-sick-coral-reef-pop-antacid?utm_campaign=email-news-latest&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=297119

Ocean acidification slowing coral reef growth, study confirms.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/feb/24/ocean-acidification-slowing-coral-reef-growth-study-confirms

Cheers,  Doug

--
Douglas Fenner
Consultant, corals, coral reefs, coral identification

phone 1 684 622-7084

Join the International Society for Reef Studies.  Membership includes a
subscription to the journal Coral Reefs, and there are discounts for pdf
subscriptions and developing countries.  Check it out!  www.fit.edu/isrs/

"Belief in climate change is optional, participation is not."- Jim Beever.
  "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts."-
Daniel Patrick Moynihan.

Sea level is now rising at the fastest rate in 3,000 years.
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/02/sea-levels-are-rising-their-fastest-rate-2000-years?utm_campaign=email-news-latest&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=292592
http://mashable.com/2016/02/22/manmade-sea-level-rise-flooding/#fscPLGedCiqz

January 2016 was the hottest January since records began in 1880.  The
arctic was hottest by far.  This is the 9th straight monthly record heat.
 (hiatus where art thou?)
https://www.yahoo.com/news/january-2016-hottest-since-records-began-us-agency-212230867.html

Miami is flooding: "The Siege of Miami, as temperatures rise, so will sea
levels."  Sea level rising an inch a year there.
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/12/21/the-siege-of-miami

website:  http://independent.academia.edu/DouglasFenner

blog: http://ocean.si.edu/blog/reefs-american-samoa-story-hope