[Coral-List] Call for Abstract Submission: ICRS Session 33, Observing Ocean Acidification and Its Ecological Impacts to Inform Management and Policy

Thomas Oliver - NOAA Affiliate thomas.oliver at noaa.gov
Fri Jan 8 21:04:17 EST 2016

Dear Coral Listers –

 My co-chairs and I would like to invite researchers, managers and policy
makers to submit to Session 33 at the 13th International Coral Reef
Symposium 19-24 June in Honolulu: Observing Ocean Acidification and Its
Ecological Impacts to Inform Management and Policy.

  We intend this session to provide a perspective on regional and global
efforts to observe ocean acidification and it’s impacts on coral reef
ecosystems, with a view toward building sensible responses in management
and policy. We welcome talks that discuss observation efforts in seawater
chemistry and ecological impacts, methods of observations, and both
strategy and tactics of management response. We hope to see you all there.

https://www.sgmeet.com/icrs20`16/sessionschedule.asp?SessionID=33
<https://www.sgmeet.com/icrs2016/sessionschedule.asp?SessionID=33>

Session Summary:

Co-Chairs:

Tom Oliver*

Somkiat Khokiattiwong

Anne Cohen

Libby Jewitt

Regionally disparate efforts are underway to inform coral reef managers and
policy-makers on the ecological and societal impacts of anthropogenic
changes in the ocean’s carbonate system, often referred to as ocean
acidification. While many efforts are well organized regionally, the
coral-reef research and management community would benefit from a frank
discussion of critical measurements and best practices, as well as a
concerted effort to build international coral reef networks as part of the
Global Ocean Acidification Observing Network.  This is particularly
important as many of the nations most rich in coral reef biodiversity have
yet to establish organized ocean acidification monitoring efforts.

This session proposes to invite academic, government, and NGO scientists to
discuss with managers and policy makers the design of cost-effective
observation networks. We will feature methods to observe seawater carbonate
chemistry, carbonate accretion, reef-scale accretion/dissolution balance,
bioerosion, and how to best integrate in-situ observations
with satellite-derived proxies and/or modeling.  We will discuss approaches
to international collaboration including: technology transfer, staff
mentoring, and peer-to-peer exchanges. Finally, we will address the issue
of attribution of ocean acidification impacts and potential policy
approaches to distinct scenarios.

This session will be divided roughly into two-thirds talks, one-third panel
discussion.

--
Thomas A. Oliver