[Coral-List] corals survive in turbid water

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Mon Jan 11 13:07:31 EST 2016

Attached is a paper with an unusual conclusion. It suggests
transplanting threatened corals to areas of turbidity to protect them
from sun light. The paper presents good evidence for the proposal. In
the Keys however, nearshore areas of high turbidity are also prone to
periodic chilling during sporadic cold fronts. I might add that while
most of the head corals and all of the Acroporids at Carysfort reef
located in clear water off the Florida Keys are suffering there is a
cluster of /Siderasterea siderea/ heads in the shade beneath the
lighthouse that are growing just fine. I have been photographing them
once a year for many years.  Does this not suggest a place to perform a
simple experiment? Gene
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/resolve/doi?DOI=10.1111%2Fgcb.13166#.VpPXbbgXj08.email

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)